Monday, July 28, 2014

Priorities: Because everything has a minimum effective dose and a course duration

When, for what duration and at what frequency, these are specific to each task. Some tasks are important, some are urgent, something can be postponed without any damage, some tasks can be outsourced, some things need to be done by you and only by you, some tasks can be skipped, somethings have danger consequences of missing it. Quality of life depends on how effectively the tasks are done. Probably that decides who you really are, irrespective of what you think of yourself.

For example at 12.47 am I'm writing this, I have already missed my priorities. I can not go gym tomorrow. If I go to gym, I can not go to work on time, if I do those two I can not get 8 hours of sleep which is even more important. Why am I not sleeping now? Just cant sleep, overwhelming number of open tasks probably disturbing me. Why am I not working if that is the case? I don't have enough energy now. The real problem here is I need to sleep 8 hours everyday not 56 hours a week.

I want to get out of this loop. Here is what I'm going to do for that.

  1. List all the tasks including sleeping, work, entertainment, hobby projects, paying bills and any chore.
  2. Assign those with priority, due date/time, minimum effective dose, frequency, do I need to do or can be outsourced, can be postponed/cancelled as required.
  3. Automate whatever is possible.
  4. Outsource whatever is possible.
  5. Batch similar tasks.
  6. Never miss anything that has consequence on health e.g sleeping, working out.
  7. Reserve time for social activities.
  8. Time for reading/entertainment.
  9. Remove tasks from list that does not get time in the schedule, preserving priorities.
  10. Build/find a system to measure effectiveness and manage all the tasks.
I don't know if this will work. At least I wrote something instead of completely wasting the time :)

No comments: